My Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

~Yummy Nanaimo Bars~

Okay, my Canadian friends...waaaaay back when (and I mean yearrrrrs ago)...I was around Victoria and had the pleasure of having tea and Nanaimo Bars...yummO!  And, my friend Leslie and I made sure that we had Nanaimo Bars as often as we could while we were in Canada...we LOVED THEM!

I just remembered them a couple of weeks ago and found a recipe from Joy of Baking.  Now, I'm not sure how close this is to the true recipe, and of course, don't even think about finding Bird's Vanilla Custard Powder anywhere close in Arizona, let alone the States (unless you are close to CAN)!!!

So here's a picture of my Nanaimo Bars that I made and the recipe.  I gave some to friends and oh my gosh they were in heaven and had to make more themselves!  So, my Canadian friends...does anyone have a 'true' recipe for these Nanaimo Bars?  If you do, would you share it with me?  Or, is this 'the' recipe? I LOVE THESE!!!  Oh, and you're supposed to put the bars out at room temperature before you cut them into squares, or you make a mess with the chocolate cracking...heck no, I couldn't wait, so there may be crumbs everywhere, but they are still so yummy! And, this is all that was left after about 30 minutes...but then these were gone the next day!
From Misc Pic's
Nanaimo Bars Recipe by 'joy of baking'
Butter (or use cooking spray) a 9 x 9 inch pan

Bottom Layer:
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 c granulated white sugar
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa (Dutch)
1 large egg, beaten
1 tspn pure vanilla extract
2 c graham cracker crumbs
1 c coconut (either sweetened or unsweetened)
1/2 c walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped

Filling:
1/4 c unsalted butter, room temperature
2 - 3 tbsp milk or cream
2 tbsp vanilla custard powder (Bird's) or vanilla pudding powder
1/2 tspn pure vanilla extract
2 c powdered sugar (confectioners)

Topping:
4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp unsalted butter

Bottom Layer:  In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.   Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and then gradually whisk in the beaten egg.  Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1 -2 minutes).  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped nuts.  Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.  Cover and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).

Filling:  In your electric mixer cream the butter.  Beat in the remaining ingredients.  If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more milk.  Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).

Top Layer:  In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter.  Spread over the filling and refrigerate.

To Serve:  To prevent the chocolate from cracking, using a sharp knife, bring the squares to room temperature before cutting.

Yield:  Makes about 24 squares.

1 comment:

Stephanie Zito said...

YUM!!!! These look incredible Jen! I've never made them but they look exactly what I've tasted here in Canada! I'm defintely going to try your recipe and I'll let you know how they turn out! p.s. thanks for the tip about letting them come to room temperature before cutting!